Classic TV news manipulation

Postby tuned » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:39 pm

This is a classic case of why some people don't trust the CBC and the political bias of some of their reporters. Watch this story on Stephen Harper that the CBC aired and then see the WHOLE story. Regardless of your political stripe the CBC story ignored even basic journalistic principles and the reporter should be disciplined.
http://www.stephentaylor.ca/archives/000645.html
What do you think?
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:11 pm

tuned wrote: This is a classic case of why some people don't trust the CBC and the political bias of some of their reporters. Watch this story on Stephen Harper that the CBC aired and then see the WHOLE story. Regardless of your political stripe the CBC story ignored even basic journalistic principles and the reporter should be disciplined.
http://www.stephentaylor.ca/archives/000645.html
What do you think?

I watched this piece on the CBC, CTV news and on the website.

It is possible that an editor got the wrong clip for the broadcast piece, if it was marked incorrectly.

I would give the benefit of doubt rather than label a reporter as bias, when she doesn't express that herself. I have watched her other reports.

CBC itself does seem to try and give a balanced view, in fact at one point prior to the election, it was more slanted towards the conservatives in news, while in the comedy shows like AirFarce and Mercer, it was more liberal.

I was surprised yesterday to see Global's network 5:30 pm news (Kevin Newman) give a Fox News reporter the story of what was happening at the UN in New York.

Why didn't Global have one of their own at the UN etc.

If there is any bias in news reporting, or broadcasting, Fox is it.
PMC

Postby tuned » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:11 pm

It was Lawonds story...she would have picked the soundbite of Harper to use and where to put it. The editor just cuts it together and makes it look pretty. If she was on my watch that story would have been the end of her career.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:09 am

tuned wrote: It was Lawonds story...she would have picked the soundbite of Harper to use and where to put it. The editor just cuts it together and makes it look pretty. If she was on my watch that story would have been the end of her career.

Over reaction for a number of reasons.

Since you seem to be in a position of power, can you find the french version of the story ? Christina works both sides of the CBC network, English and French... as do others like Don Murray... she probably filed en francais... the same applies to the editing job.... thus bias context can be better examined.

I worked as a jock and in news, and when doing news I always took a lateral or abstract position on any story... I question why this fellow brings the issue up on his website, while the site has a GIF image that says `A Friend of Stephen Harper'. Is the conservative party that desparate that image placards are required to show that Harper has a friend or is this good old fashioned brown nosing :)

Also if you look at the CBC story in a broader context, it also suggests a heads up to the conservatives to pay more attention to the ethnic voter in Quebec... which is not a detremental effect as suggested in the complaint about the televised report.
PMC

Postby tuned » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:49 am

PMC you neatly avoided the issue and muddied the waters with francais. What Lawond did was wrong. Period. She took a clip out of context and juxtaposed it in such a way as to make Harper look like an arsehole. It is inexcusable since she had a clip available that addressed the womans concerns and chose not to use it. How many other times has Lawond done this with other stories? At best she did an extremely sloppy job putting together a story, at worst she deliberately manipulated the clips to suit her political biases. Either way she should be fired.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:20 pm

tuned wrote: PMC you neatly avoided the issue and muddied the waters with francais. What Lawond did was wrong. Period. She took a clip out of context and juxtaposed it in such a way as to make Harper look like an arsehole. It is inexcusable since she had a clip available that addressed the womans concerns and chose not to use it. How many other times has Lawond done this with other stories? At best she did an extremely sloppy job putting together a story, at worst she deliberately manipulated the clips to suit her political biases. Either way she should be fired.

As I said, I watched this story on CBC, and CTV, then the website.

You brought it up, as you started the thread. I am only pointing out the over reaction to something that can be a varied cause and effect.

Along time ago I was in Lebanon, and Israel. I am familiar with the issues.

I saw no bias in the story. I did see a story that is on the mind of many in the ethnic community because of the death of innocents, and the destruction of people's lives. All of whom are voters.
PMC

Postby Dan Sys » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:20 pm

Talk about bias, this whole escapade originates from a Conservative Party website in the first place. No balanced views there either, obviously.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:01 pm

I am a retired newsperson - I went to the site and looked at the evidence.

I am not convinced that the reporter did anything wrong. I took no offence.

Now my bias is left of Harper for sure. But generally he is doing a good job with no opposition in place to question him or his policies.

I am willing to give anyone in that job a chance to fail as so many have done before him.

Is the CBC report biased...I didnt see it that way. I think the yelling muslim lady
was interjected for so called balance. But Canadians are not fooled by arab rhetoric.

I loved the Israeli ambassador to the UN yesterday when he commented:

"those are fine words", to the arab speaker "but you have failed to mention Hezbollah".

There is the point we must concentrate on.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:22 pm

Any chance that tuned is that junior jackboot-in-training itsjamie?

Here's the challenge Tuned; find one independent study, (and no, the Fraser Institute doesn't qualify) that points to a clear CBC bias. Many have tried and failed, while at the same time pointing to clear biases in private broadcasters and media - hello Calgary Herald!

Also explain why the left-lovin' CBC was behind investigations like that of Adscam, the APEC debacle, HRDC missing millions etc.

Huh?

Well?

I didn't think so.
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:46 pm

What I said was that it's no wonder the CBC gets accused of a left wing bias when they put crap on the air like the Lawond piece. I am a supporter of the CBC but not a supporter of biased/sloppy/lazy journalism. As for being ItsJamie I wish! Isn't he 18??? I completed my jackboot training many decades ago. Top of the class.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:46 pm

OK I am going to fence sit. I can't accept the Israelis claim that they virtually should rule the Middle East, but dammit.....I do accept their right to protect themselves against terrorists. I do not accept the muslims claim of their right to take over the world, or that's what it seems. If religion is brought into the conflict, then both sides lose the debate. Isn't it time both sides figured, after thousands of years, it's time to sit down and speak to each other, and get this oppression stopped? Otherwise, I'll guarantee someone else like me will be asking the same question two or three thousand years from now, unless some idiots have blown our world to pieces.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Cliff Bashly Kinkade » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:44 am

tuned wrote: What I said was that it's no wonder the CBC gets accused of a left wing bias when they put crap on the air like the Lawond piece.

You're absolutely right, I must have misinterpreted the headline of this thread. Perhaps Tuned is a former Sun chain gerbalist that knows how to create a provocative headline and then backpedal with content that is as vague as it is poorly crafted.

This sort of thing is so very typical of the reactionary amoungst us, blast away from a marginal, polarized position, then once challenged (successfully Nice job PMC) initiate the shrill, banal call of the harpies. "That's not what I said. You're twisting my words!"
If you don't want your words twisted, start with a an argument that is closer to iron clad and not the flacid bleating of, "Damn those pinkos at the CBC."

I am a supporter of the CBC but not a supporter of biased/sloppy/lazy journalism.

LOL, I'll tell you what, start with cleaning up the mess that is your position on this topic and I'd accept the above statement with something other than the brick of salt currently required.

Aside from that, Ezra Levant is waiting for his foot rub, get to it will ya.
nudeswithviews.com / where right is never wrong
Cliff Bashly Kinkade
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:11 am

what I love about this thread is:

tuned is being attacked
the cbc is being attacked
dan is being attacked
sykes is fairing better so far
erin airton is not admitting she is cute
paul hesketh signed up from kelowna
radiofan has no stickers out of this fight